Check out my Etsy shop!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pants to Capri's

At the end of the winter season I found these cargo pants on clearance. I like the way they fit and I bought them knowing they would make way cute Capri's.

So here are the pants.

With all of the cargo pockets.

I measured about where I would want them to be length wise and then added enough room to roll up the pant leg.

Once you cut the length turn the pants inside out and press a 1/4 inch seam.

Then fold it again 1/4 inch and press with hot iron again.

Make a straight stitch seam twice around the pressed hem.

Here is the double straight stitch.

I noticed the little tabs on the pocket and knew how I wanted to finish the hemline.

With the fabric that you cut off  the bottom of the pant. Cut 8 pieces of fabric 2 inches wide by 7 inches long.

Fold each piece and make a 1/4 inch seam along the raw edges.

Press this piece with the seam in the middle.

Make a point at the end of the 4 tabs.

Turn it inside out and make a 1/4 inch seam around the outside.

Here are the 4 finished tabs.

Then sew a button hole in the end of each tab.

I found some buttons that kind of matches what were on the pant.


Turn the pants inside out and sew the tab in the inside seams giving allowance to fold the bottom hem up.

Sew a button on the right side of the pants and fold up the hem and button the button.. Button all 4 buttons!

Then you have a cute pair of Capri's! That are ready for summer.

Pretty good for 6 bucks!

Yeah, I love them and I saved a bunch of money!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You did a great job.. love the little buttons ups on the side! Too cute.. and what a great deal!

Comeca Jones said...

You did great for six bucks. I love how they turned out!

Lisa said...

Very cute! I love how you added the strips on the sides! I do this ALL the time with pants. I have really long legs so I buy super cheap pants that are too short and turn them into capris.

Cat said...

These are so cute! I am just now learning how to sew so I always eat up these tutorials! Jumping over from ItsSoCheri!

xoxo
Cat@budgetblonde.com

SV said...

They look great! Very cute.

Michella Marie said...

These are too cute!! I have a few in mind that I will be altering :))
Just stumbled on your blog hop too!! Hope you can stop by!!
LOVE FROM TEXAS!!!
~~Michella~~
www.michellamarie.com

bj said...

They are just precious and look just like you bought them that way. :)
If I could sew, this is just what I would be doing.
xo bj

Sharde said...

you finished them off so well! i never do nice hems or anything because i am soooo lazy! kudos to you :)


the style projects

no spring chicken said...

Love the capris! Creative person that you are...

Blessings, Debbie

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

You are so talented, Donene! Where do you find the time for all of your creative endeavors?

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails